Wednesday, July 3, 2013

4th Of July... My Favorite Holiday



My memories of the fourth of July are fond memories.  Of all the holidays the 4th of July is my favorite.  As a kid I remember driving to an open field on the outskirts of town with my parents. 

 The summer air was crisp and fresh and the smell of fresh cut grass was in the air.  My Mom’s coleslaw and potato salad being dished out on paper plates and taking double helping of both… the taste of sweet watermelon and the delicious feeling of summer all around.  

But my favorite part of the whole evening was the fireworks.  I remember lying on the blanket and looking up into the starry summer sky waiting for the big show.  I couldn’t control my excitement looking up in anticipation for the first bang and sparkle shimmering down to the ground.  And then it happened...  boom, bang lights flashing and a wonderful display of reds, blues purples and pinks.  My eyes darting in every direction drinking up the excitement and wonder of the night display.  I would say that over the years not much has changed other than the location. 

Every 4th of July I become a kid again full of wonder and amazing looking up into the night sky and drinking in the wonder of the show.  Checking the schedule and making sure that we get there early to get the best seat.  Sitting back and looking and waiting in anticipation of that first spark of light. Boom bang owww and ahhh… 
Looking at this it makes me contemplate and think about my life.  Life can be the 4thof July every day.  If we stop, step back and look at the wonders around us in our daily life we can create that joy every day.  It may not be the grand boom and spectacular lights but a hug from a loved one or smile from a stranger can create this happiness.  Being grateful and seeing the beauty in life everyday can create a joy that is spectacular.  So my 4th of July challenge to you is to step and to take look around you.  Find the things in your life that are truly wonderful and give gratitude for them.  It is a wonderful feeling to connect to the world and be happy for the little things.  Sometimes there are fireworks all around us and all we need to do is look up to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment